Skip to content
Maladaptive behaviors like these can become a self-destructive pattern:
- Avoidance. Avoiding a threat or disengaging from unpleasantness is often the best move, especially for temporary things over which you have no control.
- Substance use.
- Maladaptive daydreaming.
When to see a specialist
Signs that you should seek help include:
- you’re self-injuring or thinking about it
- life is spiraling out of control
- you’re dealing with after-effects of trauma
- you have a lot of stress or anxiety
- you have signs of depression
- your relationships are suffering
- If you just need someone to help sort out your feelings, or you’re uncertain, you can get a professional assessment.
Those who can address maladaptive behavior include:
- social workers
- addiction counselors
- family and marriage counselors