History of terminology – Professionals may use the term parental alienation or incorporate Dr. Childress’s terms AB parenting or pathogenic parenting. Notably, the nomenclature is an issue addressed over the years.
Previous names include:
• Alienated child: Kelly and Johnston, 2001 (The alienated child)
• Child alienation: Stahl (n.d.)
• Malicious parent syndrome: Turkat,1999 (titled initially malicious mother syndrome)
• Pathological alienation: Warshak, 2006
• Parental alienation disorder: Bernet, 2010