What Constitutes an Unfit Mother or Unfit Father in the UK?
To prove your ex is an unfit parent you can use evidence of:
- A history of drug or alcohol abuse
- A history of mental illness that could incapacitate the parent to care for the children adequately
- Their ability to understand the needs of the children, including the need for food, clothing and education
- Unreasonable behaviour during the divorce process
- Their ability to discipline children fairly
- The quality of their house or neighbourhood where they live in a home that is unsafe for children to reside in
- A history of criminal offences and/or imprisonment
- A strongly negative attitude of the children towards the parent, or unwillingness to live with that parent
As a parent you will do anything to make sure your children live in a safe environment, being cared for and loved unconditionally. If you believe your ex can not, or will not, provide such safety and comfort they are likely unfit to be a parent.