- Narcissistic parents-in-law are incredibly cruel, often going out of their way to make sure their son or daughter’s spouse doesn’t feel welcome, according to trauma therapist Shannon Thomas.
- If the child from the narcissistic family is oblivious to the harm being caused, it can slowly tear apart their marriage.
- Sometimes they are wise to it, but it’s still incredibly hard to deal with their mind games.
- For example, narcissistic in-laws will play favorites, isolate the target from their own children, and lie about anything to fit their narrative and make the target feel excluded.
- Narcissists often act like they’re reading from the same instruction manual, so there are some telltale signs that a toxic in-law is what you’re dealing with.