The No Contact Rule is a widely prescribed strategy to break free from a narcissist. As the name suggests, it involves avoiding any contact with the narcissist, including
- Meeting with the narcissist in public or in private
- Phone calls — calling yourself or taking calls from the narcissist
- Blocking the narcissist’s text messages
- Blocking the narcissist on social media or, even more extreme, deleting your social media profiles so that the narcissist can’t find you
- Carefully avoiding any other possibility of meeting with the narcissist or talking with them
If you have any common friends that the narcissist could use to reach you, you may need to apply the No Contact rule to these relationships as well.
While one may argue that this strategy isn’t always practical — the narcissist could still show up at your workplace or wait near your home — it may be very helpful in some cases and is worth considering.