Are you the adult survivor of emotional child abuse? The effects of childhood abuse on adults are…
- Post-traumatic stress disorder
- Cognitive distortions (e.g., “highly fearful and overestimate danger and adversity in your current environment”)
- Emotional distress (e.g., depression, anxiety, and anger)
- Anxiety, disorders, panic disorders, phobias, and obsessive-compulsive order
- Chronic irritability, rage, and difficulties expressing anger constructively
- Impaired sense of self
- Avoidance (e.g., disassociation, amnesia for abuse-related events)
- Interpersonal problems
- Physical health problems
In reading that list, you may relate to some effects and know you need help. Perhaps something within you is whispering (or perhaps even shouting) that you need to find some sort of livable peace, some direction, some guidance in your journey.
You didn’t just stumble onto The Invisible Scar for no reason. Something or someone brought you here.
Moreover, if you’ve found yourself wanting to share your story in the comments or via the contact form, you clearly do want someone to hear your story, to validate what you’ve endured, to make you feel not so crazy and lost and hurt by what has happened and to feel hopeful for the future.
You may long for that personal touch, that face-to-face interaction, and that’s all very normal and healthy and, if anything, a good sign that you want to heal.