Child Tax Credit: Responsibility for a child – GOV.UK

Responsibility for a child

You can only claim Child Tax Credit for children you’re responsible for.

You’re usually responsible for a child if:

  • they live with you all the time
  • they normally live with you and you’re the main carer
  • they keep their toys and clothes at your home
  • you pay for their meals and give them pocket money
  • they live in an EEA country or Switzerland but are financially dependent on you

Contact HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) if you’re not sure you’re responsible for the child.

If you share responsibility for a child and you cannot agree who should claim you can both apply. HMRC will decide for you.

If you adopted or fostered a child

You can claim for an adopted or fostered child if you’re not getting money from your local council (Health and Social Services Board in Northern Ireland). If you do get money, call HMRC to find out if you can claim.

1 Comments on “Child Tax Credit: Responsibility for a child – GOV.UK”

Leave a Reply, All comments will be moderated - Many thanks for your contribution

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

%d bloggers like this: