According to Martha Stout, author of The Sociopath Next Door, 4% of the population is sociopathic. That is 1 in 25.
We bump up against sociopathic people in our neighborhoods, workplaces, and grocery stores. Those of us who are particularly unlucky partner with one or have one in the family.
To protect yourself and people you care about, it’s worthwhile studying these people and learning what to watch out for.
The Characteristics of Sociopathic Lying
Some of the sociopath characteristics make it extra easy for them to get away with their lies.
- lie without conscience
- don’t show the normal markers of lying
- don’t care about collateral damage
- are very practiced manipulators
- make up new lies as cover stories if old lies are exposed
- be very charming
- bring up crocodile tears (fake tears they can conjure up at opportune times)
- extract people’s sympathy
- use detail in their lies to be convincing