Here are some key things I learned. Most of the time(not always) these profiles are:
- Private profiles
- Not HIGH-quality images (because they are cropped, or stolen) they may still be decent quality though
- Very very attractive people
- Easily reachable ( makes you think “why is this person responding to me”)
- Fake names, google them and see what pops up if nothing pops up, well…
Now lets go into the basics of how to react if you think you might be getting catfished:
- Ask to facetime(this is a very simple way to figure it out), if they are fake they will ALWAYS have excuses.
- If they are in your city, try to meet up for coffee early on, before they lure you in.
- Go through their tagged photos & comments — this can be tricky because I’ve seen accounts go back years, and have other fake accounts comment/tagging them.
- Reverse search their images* (I’ll show how to below)
- Fact checking their bios
People devote their LIVES to these fake profiles, so it can be extremely difficult to find out. That’s why it’s important to facetime, or meet up with them… It’s a very simple way to figure out who it is.
1.) Reverse searching images
This is a super simple process done on google. You will want to use googles reverse image search tool reverse.photos
2.) Googling their name
3.) Fact checking bio
4.) Check their tagged photos