There is certainly some overlap between these two personality disorders, which is why they are both part of the “Cluster B” group in the DSM (comprised of narcissistic, histrionic, antisocial, and borderline personality disorders). Sociopathy is captured by the diagnosis of antisocial personality disorder. Despite both being part of this “dramatic erratic”, cluster, however, the two disorders are not interchangeable. Nor are they always so easy to identify in the day-to-day.
1. It’s a Matter of Degree
2. They are Skilled at “Impression Management”
3. They Have a “Sixth Sense” for Spotting the Right People to Manipulate
4. They Look Just Like You…
5. Sometimes They Just Don’t Seem to Fit the “Profile”
6. They Won’t Necessarily Commit an Obvious Crime
7. They Can Be Harmful without Being “Dangerous”