How to handle a toxic parent?
It’s rather difficult to get rid of a toxic atmosphere — even for adults! Nevertheless, specialists have come up with some tips that can help us protect our personal boundaries and save a relationship. First, we have to realize the following facts:
- We can’t change the past.
- A toxic relationship is like a chronic disease — it’s almost impossible to cure it so you have to try to avoid any complication.
Recommendations are based on the understanding that each person has their own rights and needs that they shouldn’t be ashamed of. You have the right to:
- Live in your own house and have your own rules.
- Take no part in resolving issues of other relatives.
- Limit access to your territory.
- Gain your own experience and ignore your parents when they say “I know better.”
- Manage your resources: money, time, and effort.
- Choose your personal interests over those of your parents.
We have to remember: these rules are relevant for both “parties.” Children shouldn’t cut their parents out of their lives and take their help for granted.
What was it like for you when you were growing up? Share your experiences with us in the comments!
p class=”” id=”js-block-15530260″ style=”color:rgb(0,0,0);font-family:Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;font-size:16px;font-style:normal;font-variant-ligatures:normal;font-variant-caps:normal;font-weight:400;letter-spacing:normal;orphans:2text-indent:0px;text-transform:none;white-space:normal;widows:2;word-spacing:0;background-color:rgb(255,255,255);text-decoration-style:initial;text-decoration-color:initial;text-align:left;”>