Questioning and challenging paranoid thoughts
Asking yourself these questions can help you work out whether your suspicious thoughts are paranoid or justified.
- Would other people think my suspicions are realistic?
- What would my best friend say?
- Have I talked to other people about my worries?
- Is it possible I have exaggerated the threat?
- Is there any evidence for my suspicions that can’t be questioned?
- Are my worries based on events that could be viewed in different ways?
- Are my worries based on my feelings rather than definite evidence?
- Is it likely that I would be singled out above everyone else?
- Is there any evidence against my beliefs?
- Is it possible that I’m being oversensitive?
- Do I still feel suspicious even though other people have reassured me that there is no reason to be?