The belief systems of the person with a Victim identity fall along these lines:
- Life is really, really hard.
- Don’t get up, you’ll just get kicked back down again.
- Beware, always beware of trickery; it’s around every corner.
- You can’t trust anyone.
- I can’t.
- You just don’t understand how hard it is for me.
- Everyone is always picking on me.
- “They” are always bigger, badder and smarter than me.
These belief systems are in place to protect the Victim from ever having to really engage life and hurdle its hurdles. Doing so is just plain too risky. No, the best way to cope is to just stay on the down-side of life, and never, never, never expect more.