Accordingly to the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, someone exhibiting five or more of the traits set out below can be suffering from a narcistic personality disorder:-
• A need for excessive attention and admiration.
• A sense of entitlement particularly to special treatment.
• A grandiose sense of self-importance.
• A pre-occupation of fantasies of unlimited success, power, brilliance, beauty or ideal love.
• A belief that one is special and can only be understood by or associated with special people or institutions.
• An exploitation of others.
• A lack of empathy.
• An envy of others or the belief that one is the object of envy.
• Arrogant behaviour or attitude.