(A) With respect to different functions, Karma is classified into four kinds:
1. REPRODUCTIVE KARMA 2. SUPPORTIVE KARMA 3. OBSTRUCTIVE KARMA OR COUNTERACTIVE KARMA 4. DESTRUCTIVE (UPAGHATAKA) KARMA
(B) There is another classification of Karma, according to the priority of effect:
WEIGHTY (GARUKA) KARMA.
PROXIMATE (ASANNA) KARMA OR DEATH-PROXIMATE KARMA
HABITUAL (ACCINA) KARMA
- RESERVE OR CUMULATIVE (KATATTA) KARMA
(C) There is another classification of Karma according to the time in which effects are worked out:
- Immediately Effective (ditthadhammavedaniya) Karma.
- Subsequently Effective (uppapajjavedaniya) Karma.
- Indefinitely Effective (aparapariyavedaniya) Karma.
- Defunct or Ineffective (ahosi) Karma.
(D) The last classification of Karma is according to the plane in which the effect takes place, namely:
Evil Actions (akusala kamma) which may ripen in the sentient planes (kammaloka). (Six celestial planes plus one human plane plus four woeful planes = eleven kamaloka planes.) Here are only four woeful kamalokas.
- Good Actions (kusala kamma) which may ripen in the sentient planes except for the four woeful planes.
- Good Actions (kusala kamma) which may ripen in the Realm of Form (rupa brahamalokas). There are four Arupa Brahma Lokas.