Many people ask how to know whether or not to forgive and continue with the relationship. I can give you some of the questions to consider for this issue but I can’t give the answers because each person needs to determine for him or herself what is right.
1) First of all, is the behavior a continuing behavior or does the person recognize the hurt they have caused and are trying to change the behavior?
2) Also, does the individual want forgiveness? To want forgiveness the person has to see the behavior as wrong and not intend to engage in it any further.
3) Was the transgression out of justified anger and the person regretted acting so rashly? Did they learn from this behavior and are unlikely to do it again?
4) How long have you know the person? Is this typical behavior or is a single instance?
5) Have you talked with the person and they have accepted responsibility?
6) Was the behavior intentional or was it related to the loss of an illusion (as described above)?
7) What makes this relationship worth the forgiveness?
8) Do you need to forgive so as to move on in your life without the bitterness? However, this doesn’t mean you have to continue the relationship.