- be free of harmful misconceptions about human nature and behaviour
- know how to correctly assess the character of others (not all are neurotics)
- have high self awareness, especially regarding those aspects of your own character that might increase your vulnerability to manipulation
- recognise and correctly label manipulation tactics, respond to them appropriately
- avoid fighting losing battles.
Regarding the third point above, therapists usually have high self awareness but when it comes to manipulators there are key things to look out for…