Do all psychopaths hurt animals?
There are seven (primary) reasons for a psychopath to hurt animals.
- They are sadists – this applies to about 2% of psychopaths
- They are curious – this usually only applies to children – many non psychopaths might hurt insects for the same reason but usually not higher animals.
- For revenge – this is an extremely common motivation for psychopaths to hurt animals
- For control or manipulation– hurting someones pet is an extremely effective way to instill fear and psychologically manipulate people (convince someone to do or not do something; or to elicit sympathy), this is also a very common motivation for psychopaths to hurt animals.
- Dislike – some people have a dislike for certain animals or a specific and express this dislike by being mean/cruel to the animal