Narcissism is a spectrum disorder with the most severe end of the spectrum considered a narcissistic personality disorder. A person can have several narcissistic traits and not fit the personality disorder. Parents with only a few traits listed can negatively affect their children in insidious ways which is explained in Dr. McBride’s books.
(Check all those that apply to your relationship with your mother or father)
- When you discuss your life issues with your parent, does he or she divert the discussion to talk about himself or herself?
- When you discuss your feelings with your parent, does he or she try to top the feeling with his or her own?
- Does your parent act jealous of you?
- Does your parent lack empathy for your feelings?
- Does your parent only support those things you do that reflect on him or her as a “good parent”?
Do you have a narcissistic parent? Take this brief survey from Dr. Karyl McBride’s latest book to find out.