Here are a few examples:
- A colleague who receives recognition or a promotion becomes more egocentric.
- An individual who is accepted into an elite school or organization becomes arrogant and entitled.
- A person who dates or marries a “trophy partner” is prideful of the elevated status, prompting an air of superiority to peers, while basking in the partner’s reflected glory.
- An athlete who’s the “star” on a team is self-aggrandizing and boastful.
- Someone who becomes independently wealthy shows contempt for those in the lower socioeconomic class and is rude toward “the little people.”
- An attention-seeking public figure who develops megalomania after gaining a degree of popularity and/or notoriety.