Examples of Belittling
- “Oh my dear you are looking so much better today.”
- “This is far too complicated for you to understand. ‘
- “We’re all watching your progress and hoping the best for you.”
- “It’s nice that you have found a friend.”
- “How is your therapy progressing?”
- “Aren’t we pretty today?’
The best approach to dealing with belittling, condescending and patronizing speech is to remove yourself from the source of it. You can’t control another person’s thoughts or speech, so it’s best to focus on the one thing you can control – that’s you.