BOUNDARIES: I found a plethora of research on family boundaries. The following are some of the more important points of agreement:
- Highly functioning families have clearly defined boundaries agreed upon by the family members.
- Boundaries between parents and children must be clearly understood and roles must never be reversed.
- Structure and routine provide a sense of predictability that bring safety and security to the home.
- When boundaries are crossed natural consequences are most effective.
- Executive decisions for the entire family are made by the parents.