Understand that those who attempt to brainwash others tend to prey upon the weak and vulnerable. Not everyone is a target for mind control, but certain people are more susceptible to forms of it at different times. A skillful manipulator knows what to look for and targets people who are going through a difficult period in their life or a change that may or may not be of their own making. Possible candidates include:
- People who have lost their jobs and fear for their future.
- Recently divorced people, particularly when the divorce was a bitter one.
- Those suffering from lingering illness, especially one they don’t understand.
- People who have lost a loved one, particularly if they were very close to that person and had few other friends.
- Young people away from home for the first time. These are particular favorites of religious cult leaders.
- One particular predatory tactic is to find out enough information about the person and his or her belief system to explain the tragedy the person has experiencing in a manner consistent with that belief system. This can later be expanded to explain history in general through that belief system, while subtly modifying it to the brainwasher’s interpretation.