- Belittle, criticize, condemn, and judge others
- Make nasty comments, ridicule, mock, and bully people
- Are hostile and angry to “loved” ones
- Use passive-aggressive comments and behaviour instead of honest communication
- Cut into the character and personality of others (as opposed to voicing legitimate complaints and concerns about a relationship or person)
- Shut down, storm away in anger, or give the silent treatment in relationships
- Refuse to admit they’re wrong
- Are negative and depressing to be with
- Are physically, sexually, emotionally, mentally, financially abusive
- Lie, cheat, steal, and break all the 10 Commandments!
Those are the obvious signs of toxic people. The funny thing is that even though we know someone is toxic, unhealthy, and not good for us…sometimes we stay with them. Lots of us stay in toxic environments – whether it’s a marriage, a job, a family, or even a community.
If you’re struggling to break free from someone who is beyond toxic, read 5 Stages of Leaving an Abusive Relationship.