Gaslighters will accuse others of actions — even when there is direct evidence that they are engaging in those same behaviors. So why do gaslighters do this? They are doing pre-emptive strikes and/or are projecting.
The gaslighter uses these tactics in order to get “revenge” or gain control over you. Gaslighting tactics include:
- Blatantly lying.
- Splitting — pitting you against a friend or family member.
- Working to align others against you.
- Telling others that you are crazy, unstable, or manipulative.
- Lying about things they said and did, even though you swear those things happened.
- Telling you they don’t like your family and friends — but for vague reasons.
- Cheat in relationships, yet they accuse their victims of cheating.
- Accuse their victims of being addicts, when they are the true addicts.
- Accuse their victims of manipulation, when they are the ones who manipulate.