- 1 in 14 children have experienced emotional abuse by a parent or guardian.
- Nearly 20,000 children were identified as needing protection from emotional abuse last year
- Emotional abuse is the 2nd most common reason for children needing protection from abuse in the UK
- 17% of contacts to the NSPCC’s helpline last year were concerns about emotional abuse
- The NSPCC’s helpline responded to over 10,000 contacts about emotional abuse in 2016/17
- There were over 3,000 Childline counselling sessions about emotional abuse in 2016/17